Wednesday, January 16, 2008
One day in December we had moved all of our bedroom furniture out of the way to do some brick work, then quit and went to a Christmas party, and then at midnight came home to a huge mess and contemplated getting a hotel room (or an apartment). Instead we hauled our mattress upstairs. Although a bit cold, it's actually kind of nice to be up and out of the way of the main work going on downstairs. So we decided to move the whole bedroom.
The added benefit is the extra space in the living area means its easier to shove the couch and coffee table out of our way when we get to work. In the meantime, we have a lovely dance hall. Libby loves to square dance, although I'm partial to the running man.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Monday, January 14, 2008
Happy New Year! We enjoyed a long break of doing absolutely nothing, and now we are back to the grind - trying to make progress and still have a place to live at the end of the day.
The next big project will be the kitchen. Before we can start installing new cabinets we need to:
- knock plaster off all the walls where we will be exposing brick
- clean and seal said exposed brick walls
- prepare and paint the ceiling
- finish demo'ing the old bathroom/ build and finish walls for new pantry
- plumb in/ install new utility sink so I have something to wash dishes in until the new sink's in
- rip up all wood flooring on the main floor and lay down new OSB
- make 1,000 decisions about cabinetry and countertops - we have the main cabinets nailed down ( white shaker-style base cabinets with open wood shelves above) but haven't picked the countertops yet (choices: boring laminate or super expensive)
I'm sure this list is missing some things, but you get the picture.